Friday 12 April 2013

What I live for

I know I've bored on about them a lot but I'm going to do it again. I fucking love this band and last Friday, as always, their live show didn't disappoint.  I've seen them a lot of times, it's funny, you get to recognise people in the crowd, they're almost always there, the rotund man with the sensible short back and sides and a shirt, always making "duhn nah nah" noises along with the guitars when there are no lyrics to sing along to. The tall boy with the long blond hair who we first saw at a Ginger acoustic show in Wales, the two men who look like each other, both long hair, one slightly smaller than the other, always there together. Then there's the man who looks like a portly teddy boy, he's always there too. It's nice to see these people, we don't speak to them but, you know, we nudge each other and say "look, there's that one..." when we spot them. Anyway, they were all there last week, of course they were, they're big fans too. 

Ordinarily when we go to gigs we arrive either during or after the support bands have been on but knowing Ginger always picks brilliant people we try and get there on time, we learnt this one year, after we almost missed out on the amazing all metal tribute to the Bee Gees, my life would not have been the same if I hadn't known of this band.

Anyway, Friday was no different in terms of brilliant support. We saw Baby Godzilla, a brilliant new band who spent a lot of the time stomping through the crowd while playing, it was really quite something. They were followed by the Eureka Machines, I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard them before but I loved what I heard, I'll be investing in their albums now. Then it was time for The Wildhearts, they were brilliant, especially considering they'd only rehearsed mere days before. The second half of their set was truly inspired, two of their roadies took to the stage, Dunc on the right, Steve on the left, each one held a sign with a different song name on, the crowd had to cheer for their favourite, whichever one got the most cheers the band would play. Some moments I was genuinely torn between the choices, other times I was dying to hear my favourite track.  I was genuinely gutted when it finished but today they've announced extra dates in June, they're playing Leeds the very night I'm going over that side of the Pennines to watch Europe's Strongest Man competition, I think it's fate, I have to go, don't I? 

No comments:

Post a Comment