Wednesday 5 March 2014

In which I wonder what I've done

I'm writing this in a brief break between walking to and from the garden with a restless dog in tow. Albert the wire fox terrier came to live with us on Saturday and he's hard work. Currently fast asleep in his bed at the side of the sofa, I know that if I get up so will he. I knew this would be tough going but despite this I've spent a fair amount of the last few days feeling vastly over whelmed.

During his waking hours we take almost constant trips out to the garden in the freezing cold, he doesn't go to the toilet, he'd rather run round the garden at break neck speed, picking up bits of wood he shouldn't be chewing. I've spent more time than I ever thought possible with my fingers inside his mouth while he tries to bite my fingers, as you would if someone was pulling your clamped jaws open.
I know what he's doing is standard puppy behaviour and exactly what I signed up for when I handed over the envelope of cash to the breeder but still, I can't help but feel like this won't ever end.

The lovely Claire, a Twitter friend, has given me some really great advice about getting him used to bed time, which I think is going to be invaluable as he spends a good deal of the night crying. I don't want to resent him, I'm the human in this situation, it is up to me to train him, to get him into the good habits that will make him a really good dog. It's hard going, really tough.

Complaint over. I'm going to research puppy training classes*



*and dog nappies

ps. There was something else. This whole experience has really brought home to me that I really don't want to have children ever. I'm struggling with the responsibility that comes with a puppy after just a few days, which speaks volumes in terms of becoming a parent and confirming that that is something that really isn't for me.

2 comments:

  1. This reads so much like my first few weeks with H. I know I've been speaking with you on twitter about it and I hope it helps to know that I found it so hard. I felt that all I did was watch him, bring him out the back, watch him some more....not watching him and where is he? Attempting to poo in the kitchen!!

    I seriously sat one day in the middle of the kitchen floor and cried, I was so overwhelmed with the amount of work he was and the amount of energy and supervision he required. I can't compare it to a newborn as you know I haven't had one of those but I've heard its on par. At least a baby wears a nappy & stays in the one place!!

    I have total faith he will settle for you and these first few weeks will become a distant memory. He will soon be house trained and not wanting to chew everything.....though H is four and there can still be plenty of fingers in his mouth trying to prize things back out he shouldn't have, I think that's a terrier feature.

    One thing I can say though is, he will bring you so much joy and when you get in after a really shite day and he comes flying at you so blooming happy to see you, you will never fail to smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Claire, it helps more than you could imagine. Ian and I talked about it so much beforehand, we were prepared enough for the commitment and I knew it'd be hard work but it seems, I don't know, impossible. You are so right about the newborn thing, at least a baby wears a nappy, you can strap it into something when you need to sort the washing too.

      We covered the crate with a blanket last night, which I think may have helped. Tonight I'm going to try the heat pad and stick a clock in. I'll try anything, if not for our sake for the upstairs neighbours having to listen to him haha.

      Who'd have thought getting a pet would make you so emotional? Seriously though, you've really helped make me feel better about it. I appreciate your words of wisdom an awful lot. Thank you xxx

      Delete