Wednesday 27 March 2013

Memories are made of this*

*I'm going to have this song stuck in my head all fucking day now...

It's funny how a little thing can trigger a memory but every afternoon when I change into my gym clothes I am reminded of my Dad, it's a very specific memory. I'm not suggesting my Dad was into wearing Lycra (though I wouldn't put it past him but that's a story for another time), it's the static noise as the fabric shifts that brings him to mind.

Many years ago my Dad called from his bedroom "Laura, come here, I've got something to show you..." I can see Social Services would be writing up some case notes if this was to happen now. So, into the bedroom I went, I stood in the doorway, it was dark, the curtains were drawn and the light was off, there was a rustling noise and then there were sparks "look at that" That's all static," he said as he peeled off his work jumper and flecks of light flew off his body. 

I am well aware of how dodgy this sounds, it really isn't. It's a fond memory of a good man who is no longer here. I may struggle to picture his face these days - they don't warn you about that, when someone dies - but I can vividly recall the amazement in his voice after his static discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment